There couldn't be worse news for 27-year-old Nick Kyrgios. Just a day after his singles round match, he had to pull out of the Australian Open 2023 due to injury. Kyrgios has a knee injury and will undergo arthroscopic surgery.
Nick Kyrgios' not playing in the Australian Open 2023 is a big blow for him. Because as a host, his chances of winning in this tournament were high. After 1976, no player from Australia has won this tournament. Talking about Wimbledon last year, he has been the runner-up. Novak Djokovic defeated Kyrgios in that match 4–6, 6–3, 6–4, 7–6 (7–3).
Kyrgios was seeded 19th in Melbourne and was scheduled to face Roman Safiullin in the first round on Tuesday. He announced this just a day before his first match. When Nick was sharing this information, he was accompanied by his physiotherapist Will Maher. He said "I'm just exhausted from everything. Obviously pretty brutal," Kyrgios explained of the decision to pull out. "One of the most important tournaments of my career. Hasn't been easy at all."
"Obviously last year winning the title in doubles and playing the best tennis of my life probably. Then going into this event as one of the favorites, it's brutal."Kyrgios added.
Kyrgios is as mercurial a character as there is in tennis, known for alternating sometimes-brilliant and sometimes-uninterested play, as well as mixing in the occasional outlandish outburst during matches. He has spoken frankly about dealing with mental health issues. Kyrgios also has been facing a charge of assault in a pending court case in his hometown of Canberra.
Maher said that an MRI exam after Kyrgios felt discomfort in his knee revealed a cyst and a small tear in the lateral meniscus ligament. The trainer said the problem is "not career-threatening," and that Kyrgios should be able to return to competition by the hard-court tournament at Indian Wells, California, in March.