The veteran Sri Lanka speedstar, Lasith Malinga retires from all forms of cricket on Tuesday. Lasith Malinga made his One Day International debut on 17th July, 2004 and T20I debut on 15th June, 2006. Malinga has played 226 ODI matches and 83 T20I matches in his career. However, Lasith Malinga has bowled 10936 balls and taken 338 wickets. He had an average of 28.87 and an economy rate of 5.35. While in T20I, he scalps 107 wickets in 1799 balls that he bowled. In T20Is, Malinga had an average of 20.79 and an economy rate of 7.42. Though, Malinga is not known for his red ball skills. But, he took 101 wickets with an average of 33.16 in the 59 innings he played.
Malinga is the only bowler in the world with two World Cup hat-tricks, three ODI hat-tricks and four wickets in four consecutive balls in any form of International cricket. He retired from all forms of cricket on 14th September, 2021. Malinga was named as the official event ambassador for the World Twenty20 Championships by ICC. Malinga is not only the highest wicket-taker for Sri Lanka in T20 Internationals but also the highest wicket-taker in IPL till now. And SportzPoint.com has comes with all the records of the veteran pacer from Sri Lanka.
However, let’s look into the golden records created by the Sri Lanka Legend Lasith Malinga in the world of cricket.
Test career :
- Malinga took 6 wickets in his debut Test on 1 July 2004 against Australia. In the 2006-07 tour of New Zealand, he derailed the opposition’s top order, helping Sri Lanka draw the series.
- However, Malinga announced his retirement from Test cricket on 22 April, 2011 in order to prolong his career in ODI and T20 cricket.
- He played 30 Tests and took 101 wickets at an average of 33.16, with the best bowling figure of 9 for 210.
ODI career :
Lasith Malinga made his ODI debut in Sri Lanka’s opening match of the 2004 Asia Cup against the United Arab Emirates. Malinga has played 226 ODI matches in his career. In which he scalps 338 wickets with an average of 28.87 and the best bowling figure of 6/38.
- During the 2007 Cricket World Cup Super 8 match between Sri Lanka and South Africa, Malinga became the first player to take four wickets in four consecutive balls in ODIs. This was only the fifth hat-trick in World Cup history, the third ODI hat-trick for Sri Lanka and the 24th overall in ODIs.
- He became the first bowler to take two World Cup hat-tricks after he scalped three wickets in as many balls against Kenya during the 2011 Cricket World Cup.
- In August 2011, he took a hat-trick against Australia to become the first bowler to take three hat-tricks in ODI cricket.
- Malinga was included to the ODI squad for 2017 ICC Champions Trophy in June 2017, in which he took his 300th ODI wicket by dismissing Virat Kohli.
- On 13th October 2018 against England in the second ODI of the series, Malinga took his 8th five-wicket haul. Moreover, he also completed the 500 international wickets mark. In April 2019, he was named in Sri Lanka’s squad for the 2019 Cricket World Cup. And this was his last appearance in the World Cup stage.
T20I career :
Lasith Malinga made his T20I debut against England in 15th June, 2006. He has played 83 T20I matches in his career. In which he scalps 107 wickets with an average of 20.79 and the best bowling figure of 5/6.
- Malinga was named captain of the Sri Lankan cricket team in 2014 ICC World Twenty20; the team won the trophy. He is the highest wicket-taker for Sri Lanka in T20Is with 96 wickets.
- In April 2017, he took a hat-trick in T20 match against Bangladesh, becoming the second Sri Lankan and fifth overall to take a T20I hat-trick.
- He has taken 4 international hat-tricks, which is most by a Sri Lankan player and joint highest along with Pakistan’s Wasim Akram.
- Malinga has played 83 T20Is for Sri Lanka and taken 107 wickets
IPL career :
Read Also : IPL 2021: Most wickets in IPL history
Malinga has played for Mumbai Indians in Indian Premier League (IPL) from 2009 to 2019. In the first match for Mumbai Indians in the fourth season, he got 5 wickets against Delhi Daredevils. Malinga is the all time highest wicket taker of IPL till now. His best bowling figure in club-level T20s is 6 for 7 for Melbourne Stars against Perth Scorchers in December 2012, the only six-wicket haul taken the Australian Big Bash League.
- Playing for Mumbai Indians, he won the Purple Cap award (most wickets) in the fourth season of Indian Premier League with 28 scalps in 16 matches.
- Mumbai Indians did not buy him during 2018 IPL Auctions, but named him bowling mentor for the side.
- He has so far played 127 games for Mumbai Indians in IPL and Champions League T20 and is the highest wicket-taker for the franchise with 179 scalps at an economy rate of 6.88. In 2019, he was again bought by Mumbai Indians.
- In IPL, Malinga has so far played 122 matches, in which he has taken 170 wickets at an average of 19.80 and the best bowling figure of 5/13.
N.B : The stats are accurate as of 15/09/2021.