A total of 16 teams are competing for the ICC T20 World Cup 2022 title started on October 16 in Australia. Of these 16, four will be eliminated in the qualifiers and the remaining 12 teams will clash to win the most coveted T20I trophy.
There are many strong contenders to win the tournament, but, keeping in mind the recent form and other factors, we are picking four teams that are most likely to win the trophy.
Also Read: T20 World Cup 2022: Top 5 Players to watch out for in the tournament
The Kangaroos have to be one of the favorites for any cricket tournament, no matter what form they are in. The Aaron Finch-led side had defeated England in the last year’s T20 World Cup final. This year, the Australian team is looking stronger than ever.
- .In the last two outings against England and West Indies, Australia beat the teams comprehensively. In 2022, Australia played 17 T20I matches and won 12 of these.
- Cameron Green, the opening right-handed batter, who had a very good season with the bat against India, however, is not included in the world cup squad. In place of him, Ashton Agar might open the innings with Finch. But apart from him, there’s Mathew Wade, Glenn Maxwell, Marcus Stoinis, and Pat Cummins who will be crucial for the team.
- Australia has a good chance of defending their title.
Read Also: Ross Taylor names 5 Emerging Batters to watch at T20 World Cup 2022
It is quite surprising that the Indian team has not won a single T20 World Cup since the start of the Indian Premier League (IPL) in 2008. India won the maiden title in 2007 in South Africa under the captaincy of Mahendra Singh Dhoni. In 2014, India came close to winning the title again but lost the final game against Sri Lanka.
- But this time the Indian team looks in a good form. In 2022, India played 27 T20I games winning 21 of these. They have lost 6 times, while 1 game ended without a result. India beat England at its home, outclassed South Africa twice this year, and also recently won a three-match T20I series against Australia. India at the moment holds the number one position in the ICC T20I rankings.
- The team has a strong batting line up which features KL Rahul, Rohit Sharma, Suryakumar Yadav, Virat Kohli, Rishabh Pant Hardik Pandya, and Dinesh Karthik. Though the team’s star allrounder Ravindra Jadeja is out due to a knee injury, Pandya and Axar Patel are in perfect form.
- In the bowling unit, Arshdeep Singh, Mohammad Shami, and Yuzvendra Chahal are expected to lead the attack. Mohammad Siraj and Bhuvneshwar Kumar will also be included in the team in some matches.
- The biggest plus point for the team is the brilliant form of Suryakumar Yadav and Virat Kohli. The two have been playing some good cricket in the recent past and in Australia, these players will be key for India.
Also Read: T20 World Cup: Top 5 performances by Indian players
When it comes to throwing big surprises, you cannot ignore the Pakistan cricket team. For instance, in the 2017 ICC Champions Trophy, Pakistan had just managed to qualify for the tournament. It also lost the first match. But after that, the Sarfaraz Ahmed-led side bounced back so strongly that it won the tournament.
- Pakistan is one of the top favorites to win the T20 World Cup this year. Pakistan just won a seven-match tri-series against New Zealand and Bangladesh. In the final match, Pakistan defeated New Zealand and clinched the series.
- In 2022, Pakistan played 16 T20I matches and won 10. It lost six games.
- For Pakistan, the biggest plus point will be the form of Mohammad Rizwan and captain Babar Azam. The addition of Haider Ali and Shan Masood to strengthen the middle order is also giving results.
- In the bowling department, Naseem Shah, Mohammad Waseem, and Haris Rauf are doing really well.
- Overall, the Pakistan team looks really strong and has a high chance of winning the cup.
Read Also: T20 World Cup 2022: Top 5 Biggest Upsets in T20 World Cup history
The Jos Buttler-led side is one of the best in the T20 format and has been dominating the game for the last few years. England won the T20 World Cup in 2010. The team under Eoin Morgan came close to winning the tournament again in 2016 but they lost the final against West Indies. Carlos Braithwaite smashed 19 of 6 balls and won the tournament.
- England recently won a 2-match T20I series against Australia and defeated Pakistan in a seven-match T20I series before recently.
- For England, Moeen Ali, Jos Buttler, Liam Livingstone, and Jonny Bairstow will be the players to watch out for.
- Their captain Jos Buttler will also be a key player as he was in outstanding form in the IPL this year.
Also Read: T20 World Cup 2022: England Team Preview