This is the beginning of a new team with a new captain in T20Is and a coach for India. Yesterday, BCCI has announced India’s squad for the upcoming T20I home series against New Zealand. Finally, Rohit Sharma becomes the permanent captain of team India in the T20 format along with vice-captain KL Rahul. However, the squad includes some new faces like Venkatesh Iyer, Avesh Khan, Harshal Patel along Chahal make a comeback in the squad. The T20I series against New Zealand is going to start on and from 17th November at Jaipur.
Read Also: Virat Kohli records as T20I Captain
Virat Kohli, Ravindra Jadeja, and Jasprit Bumrah have been rested for the T20I series and will join the team after the 1st Test at Kanpur. Rohit Sharma will be leading India in the Kanpur test against the blackcaps in the absence of Virat Kohli. However, let’s see what issues lie ahead of the new captain Rohit Sharma in India vs NZ series.
India’s squad for the T20I series against New Zealand :
Rohit Sharma (Captain), KL Rahul (Vice-Captain), Ruturaj Gaikwad, Shreyas Iyer, Suryakumar Yadav, Rishabh Pant (wicket-keeper), Ishan Kishan (wicket-keeper), Venkatesh Iyer, Yuzvendra Chahal, R Ashwin, Axar Patel, Avesh Khan, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Deepak Chahar, Harshal Patel, Mohd. Siraj
Issues for Rohit Sharma ahead of the India vs NZ series :
- Ahead of the India vs NZ series Rohit Sharma and coach Rahul Dravid will be looking to find a perfect replacement of Hardik Pandya in this series. Meanwhile, TOI sources said that BCCI is looking towards Venkatesh Iyer for the job.
- India is missing a wicket taker spinner in the middle-overs as Rohit Sharma has to find someone for the job in this series as Jadeja has been rested.
- Rohit Sharma has to find a perfect finisher for India in the series as Hardik Pandya misses out this time.
- Hitman will be looking for a death bowler against NZ with Harshal, Siraj and Avesh Khan in the side.
- Also Rohit will be looking to build a balanced team as several players are misssing out the series.
Moreover, the team is lacking in confidence as India finishes at Super 12 in the ongoing T20 World Cup. New captain Rohit Sharma has to bring back the confidence in the team in this series. It will be a new chapter for team India with a new captain and coach Rahul Dravid on the side. Rohit will be looking towards the next T20 World Cup which will happen in Australia next year.